Physician Office Medical Device Reprocessing Assessments (POMDRA) is a College initiative to support, educate and assess community-based physicians on the reprocessing of their reusable semi-critical and/or critical medical devices. This quality assurance activity applies to physicians who practise in a community-based office setting whether in a solo office or multi-physician clinic, as well as long-term and short-term locums. In a multi-physician clinic, the medical director will be responsible for participation in an assessment. POMDRA does not apply to clinical offices or outpatient clinics affiliated with a health authority or hospital; these bodies have their own process for evaluation.
This program is based on the requirements of the Ministry of Health Best Practices for Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization for Critical and Semi-Critical Medical Devices (2011).
What are critical and semi-critical medical devices?
Critical medical devices
Health professionals use critical devices to puncture the skin or mucous membrane, enter the vascular system or sterile cavity, or through which sterile fluids run. Example include:
- surgical instruments
- suture scissors
- biopsy forceps
- biopsy equipment associated with endoscopy equipment
- all implantable and intravascular devices.
Semi-critical medical devices
Semi-critical devices are used to make contact with intact mucous membranes or non-intact skin. Examples include:
- respiratory therapy equipment
- laryngoscope blades
- flexible endoscopes
- vaginal specula
- ultrasound probes
- ear and nasal specula
- diaphragm fitting rings
For more information about Physician Office Medical Device Reprocessing Assessments, contact the College.
News from POMDRA
- College Connector Volume 8 | No. 3 | May/June 2020
- College Connector Volume 7 | No. 6 | November / December 2019
- College Connector Volume 6 | No. 6 | November / December 2018
- College Connector Volume 6 | No. 4 | July / August 2018
- College Connector Volume 5 | No. 6 | November / December 2017
- College Connector Volume 5 | No. 5 | September / October 2017
- College Connector Volume 5 | No. 4 | July / August 2017
- College Connector Volume 5 | No. 3 | May / June 2017
- College Connector Volume 5 | No. 2 | March / April 2017