On August 31, 2020, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (the College) amalgamated with the College of Podiatric Surgeons of British Columbia. Following the amalgamation, the College Bylaws were amended to include four classes of registrants for the practice of podiatric medicine.
- Full – podiatric surgeon
- Educational – podiatric surgeon student (elective)
- Educational – podiatric surgeon resident (elective)
- Conditional – podiatric surgeon disciplined
Full – podiatric surgeon
Registration in the full – podiatric surgeon class permits a registrant to practise podiatric medicine in BC. All podiatric surgeons within the province must be registered with the College, pursuant to the Health Professions Act.
To be granted registration in the full – podiatric surgeon class, an applicant must:
- have a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree from one of the recognized podiatric medical education programs listed in Schedule D of the College Bylaws
- have successfully completed the three-part American Podiatric Medical Licensing Examinations (APMLE) administered by the National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners
- have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status, or be legally entitled to live and work in British Columbia
- meet one of the following requirements:
- have successfully completed a minimum of two years of a Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME) accredited and approved residency
- if postgraduate training was completed before January 1, 2012, have successfully completed a minimum of a one year CPME accredited residency
Eligibility under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement
The Canadian Free Trade Agreement is an agreement between the federal, provincial and territorial governments of Canada. One of its objectives is to reduce and eliminate, to the extent possible, barriers to “free movement” or to labour “mobility” within Canada. Podiatric surgeons who hold a full and unrestricted licence in another Canadian jurisdiction may be eligible to apply for registration and licensure with this College without having to undergo significant additional training, examination or assessment. Please note that the usual credentialing requirements and fees still apply.
Applicants who meet all the requirements for registration in the full – podiatric surgeon class should contact the College to obtain an application package at email@example.com.
Resigning and retiring
Registrants who plan to retire/resign from practice completely can choose to
- remove their name from the College register and sever all ties, or
- maintain contact with the College by becoming a library member.
- Download the Retirement/Resignation from the College form.
- Indicate registration option and location of medical records.
- Return the completed form to the College.
Refer to the Retire/Resign page for more information.
Educational – podiatric surgeon
Individuals interested in applying for registration and licensure as either a podiatric surgeon student (elective) or podiatric surgeon resident (elective) can email their inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other inquiries related to the registration and licensure of podiatric surgeons, please contact email@example.com or 604-733-7758 extension 2626.